I carved out this little corner in the blogging world out of a need to stay sober. I drank alcoholically for close to 2 decades, with the last 5 years spent in secrecy. To get sober, I needed to break the secrecy and bring my alcoholism into the light. However, I was not ready to do that with my friends and family.
So I brought my secrets and my darkness to these pages and found a whole new family to be open and honest with. I have been sober for 333 days and that is in great part because of what this sober blogging family does for each other. The support from others who struggle with this disease has been an amazingly unexpected gift.
I am beyond thrilled to find out that my posts have spoken to others. Thank you to Chenoa at Life Corked and Debbie at Dangling on the Edge for nominating me for a Sunshine Award. Both of these ladies provide me with inspiration through their honesty and openness and it’s humbling to think that I have done the same for them. I thank you both very much.
To accept the award, the awardee must do the following:
- Display the award on your blog.
- Announce your win with a post and thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Present 10 deserving bloggers “who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere.”
- Link to the awardees and let them know of the nomination.
- List 10 interesting things about yourself.
10 interesting things about Mental Rollercoaster:
- I don’t feel weird referring to myself in the third person (or by my pseudonym).
- My elbows are double-jointed, although the left one doesn’t look as strange as the right because of a baseball injury. I was a catcher, and a batter once connected with my elbow instead of the ball. Oddly enough this resulted in a more normal-looking elbow.
- I grew up in a house across the street from, as well as beside, 2 very large cemeteries. Because of this, I find cemeteries to be the most peaceful and interesting places to walk and relax.
- I am a crazy Prince fan.
- When I was 12 years old, I wanted to be a VJ when I grew up. MuchMusic was brand new (we didn’t get MTV in Canada at that time) and I adored Erica Ehm.
- At 27 years old, I was the youngest restaurant owner in my city. That story doesn’t end well, but for a brief moment in time, it was pretty darn interesting.
- My husband and I are legally married in the Dominican Republic, but not in Canada, where we live.
- I get emotional watching people win on game shows. Their excitement touches me.
- I gag at the mere thought of touching a wooden spoon. Touching a wooden spoon causes my whole body to shiver. I was a chef for 10 years and avoided them like the plague.
- I love concerts and have been fortunate to see some amazing acts: Prince (of course!), Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Cher, John Cougar Mellancamp, Pat Benetar, Cyndi Lauper, Tori Amos, The Black Crowes, and on and on….
10 deserving bloggers who positively and creatively inspire others:
- FitFatFood – Blogging to Stay Sober
- Carrie On Sober – A blog to help keep me on the right track…
- Drunky Drunk Girl – A blog about getting sober
- One Too Many – I’ve spent a lifetime self-medicating. It’s time to try something new.
- NoWine4Me – my journey to sobriety
- emotionaldrinking – healing from the inside
- Searching and Fearless – life’s mysteries revealed in recovery
- soberjessie – getting sober to be a better mother, wife and friend